Friday, October 17, 2008

Sell Phones

I guess it's just another sign that I'm an old toad: cell phones irk me. Okay, okay, they're invaluable for purposes of safety for those traveling and for contact with children, etc. But jeez, everytime I'm in stationary traffic while driving, every third or fourth driver I see near me or even turning the intersection corner at my red light is a driver who's talking on the damn cell phone! And---dare I say it---almost every one of those talkers is a woman. I know women love to talk with family and friends---it's in their d.n.a.---much more than men do. But for heaven's sake, while driving? A recent national study showed that those who cell-phone talk while driving lose more travel time than non-talkers. I've already non-scientifically validated that by recently counting at least two-dozen driver-talkers (all women, I must say again) who were behind me at a red light---and when the light turned green, I drove an entire block before each one behind me even accelerated her car. This is not good. This must stop. Let's make cell phones which are sensitive to the female voice and to car noise, such that the phones would emit a loud screeching noise when used inside the car. Or would the woman driver's screeching voice simply override and drown out the phone's? I can't win.

-Old Doc


No comments: