Tuesday, October 7, 2008

I'll Count That Bridge When I Come to It

I hate math. I like science, but I hate math---never understood the weird stuff. Consider 0 x 2; the answer is 0, right? Now consider 2 x 0; the answer is still 0, right? At least that's what they tell me. But where's the logic in that? I can understand the former: if I have 0, and I multiply it by 2 or any other number, I'm still left with the original 0, because nothing is nothing. But the latter: if I have 2, and I don't multiply it, i.e., I "multiply" it by 0, it seems to me I'm left with the original 2 with which I started, not 0. I think it's the illogic, the errors such as this, made by so-called mathematicians and their engineers, which have led to the collapse of the Minneapolis bridge last year and other disasters. I drive way around, not over, bridges.

-Old Doc

No comments: