Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Wheels of Fortune

This morning I did my first-time accompaniment of a little old lady in her car on her Meals on Wheels route. I think I'm supposed to inherit her route very soon. Lord, what a disaster. Four of the elderly women whose houses we visited screamed in fright of my stern, gargoyle-like demeanor. Two more women screamed in joy thinking I was their far-away son who never visits them. One woman accused me of taking some of her silverware with me when I left. Two women made me act as their "poison taster" with their food.

I don't know if I can do this on my own with this route. If I don't do the deliveries, I'll be free from these terrifying reactions. But then these elderly persons will starve to death in their lonely houses and apartments. Give me a moment . . . let me think . . . subjective vs. objective morality . . . could I hide the meals the way I used to hide the mail on my other kind of route? . . . do old people really need to eat anymore? . . . the cost of gasoline . . .

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would consider discontinuing home delivery and setting up a drive-through. Just call it "Meals."

The Cajun Gal said...

They could just start eating off of the many cats that they're sure to own.