Friday, April 24, 2009

Iron Mikegoyle

As you know, I love boxing. I don't like movies about boxing, however, because I'm turned off by the faked and unrealistic staging of the fight scenes. I wasn't even impressed by Scorcese's great "Raging Bull." Heck, I was more impressed by the "realism" of the "fakeism" in the recent Mickey Rourke "wrasslin'" film, "The Wrestler." Clint Eastwood's award-winning movie of a few years ago (whose name I now forget), in which he manages that woman boxer, was excellent, but it wasn't really about boxing.

And now "Tyson" soon will appear---well, not in a local theater near you, but only in theaters which have the courage to show adult-appeal films and not merely romantic comedies, action movies, etc., which appeal only to the under-30 crowd. "Tyson," however, is not so much of a fight film as a documentary on Mike Tyson, the former world heavyweight champion. It focuses on his post-career years, and reveals a financially broke, emotionally twisted, physically battered, values-confused body and soul. Hmmm, reminds me of a gargoyle I know.

-Old Gargoyle

No comments: