Monday, April 27, 2009

Like Father, Unlike Son

General Motors has announced that it will discontinue producing the Pontiac. It will be sad to see the brand drive into the sunset. I remember when I was a kid proudly riding with my mother in a friend's brand-new 1954 hardtop Pontiac in a parade, as she and her classmates were honored in their twentieth high-school reunion. I remember learning to drive in my father's fairly new, light-blue Pontiac. I remember sending my oldest child off on his own after his college graduation in what was an old, dark-blue Pontiac which we had bought for him from our next-door neighbor. Jonka and I named the car St. Michael, because surely son would need protection in it; a year later, St. Michael died in the middle of traffic in the big city.

So what was the first brand of car son and later his siblings bought for themselves? Not Pontiac.

-Old Gargoyle


No comments: