Tuesday, May 19, 2009

A Dull Razor

Well, well. My old calendar shows that it was several decades ago today that I, after having been inspired by the young Bill Murray in his drama movie, "The Razor's Edge," arrived in Tibet. After weeks of physical and spiritual preparation, I climbed Mount Mi Bood in search of the famous guru atop it. After several days I reached the top alone, and found him squatting meditation style in the mist.

"Oh, venerable one," I cried, "please tell me the very meaning of life itself!"

The guru paused and said, "A wet bird flies at night."

"What?" I screamed, "I've come all this way, clawed and scraped my way to the top of this mountain, only to hear that the meaning of life is that a wet bird flies at night?"

"You mean . . . you mean," the guru replied, "a wet bird DOESN'T fly at night?"

-Old Gargoyle

No comments: