Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Turn Your Radio On

December brings celebration of Christmas. For me, December also brings commemoration of my late mother's birthday, which in turn reminds me of her death day. She died in late July years ago. I was driving my family home from her funeral and burial. Everyone in our van was silent; suddenly I had the impulse to turn on the car radio with the intution that it was important to do so. I did so, and the song which immediately sounded was "Angels We Have Heard on High." We were flabbergasted. Why in the world was a Christmas song playing on the car radio in the summer heat of late July? Then it struck me: "Angels We Have Heard on High" was my mother's favorite song which as a teenager she would sing in the choir in the very church through which we had just buried her. Hi, Mom.

-Old Gargoyle

No comments: