Monday, December 15, 2008

Spiritual Spinach

Jeez, the homilists (preachers) at my Sunday religious services during this Advent have five weeks or so to do some meaningful preaching about Advent-Christmas. Think of the possibilities: the latest historical scholarship on when and where and under what circumstances Jesus was born, plus the faith and theological meaning of all this; the latest historical scholarship on the Parousia (the physical return of Christ at the Eschaton, the End Time), plus the faith and theological meaning of this combined with contemporary scientific facts and theory on the termination of Earth and the universe; the latest historical scholarship on now the child and the adult human Jesus saw himself in his political-social-religious context in Israel, plus the faith and theological meaning of this. But what do I get? Homilies (sermons) which keep reminding me that I have to prepare my heart for Christmas, and that I have to say "Merry Christmas" instead of "Happy holidays." Maybe I'll do one of those things, maybe not. I feel like a droopy Popeye needing a good canful of zap. Happy holidays!

-Old Gargoyle

No comments: