Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The Same to You, Buddy

I've always been puzzled about the inconsistency in road signs. Why, for example, are many highway-name signs in some states so doggone small? I'm looking for, say, Highway 502, and I find myself in the wrong turning lane and only 30 or so feet from it, because its sign is in bland black and white and too small to be seen at a distance. And why are the all-important one-way signs in every state made in the same style: black and white and tiny and fading into the background? You'd think such signs would be large and bright yellow like some others, in order to prevent head-on collisions. Yesterday in protest I deliberately drove two miles the wrong way on a one-way street. Judging by the car honking by drivers I crisscrossed, they agreed with my protest. Now to convince the state department of transportation. Wish me luck.

-Old Gargoyle


No comments: