Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Stop the Press

Any old-comic books collectors in readerland? Not "old comic books collectors"---you don't have to be my age---but "old-comic books collectors," i.e., collectors of old comic books. If so, do you remember some of my childhood favorites? "Blackhawk" featured a group of six or seven, I think, world-hopping crimefighters, each of whom was a different ethnicity, and each of whom flew his own jet airplane; Blackhawk was the leader. "Little Lulu" was the 10-or-so year-old girl who practiced early feminism in a humorous setting. "Krazy Kat" was some kind of wacky cat, probably mentally insane, who specialized in throwing bricks at other characters. "Green Latern" was a memorable superhero crime fighter. I'd probably commit waterboarding to put my hands on some of these old issues. I never read any comics on gargoyles.

-Old Gargoyle

2 comments:

A. Toups said...

Don't ask me why (I couldn't tell you), but we had tons of copies of "Little Lulu" when I was a kid. I recall mostly being confused by her hair.

Unknown said...

A couple of years ago, a large hardcover collection of Krazy Kat comics was released, but it is now out of print. I always look for it in comic and book stores when I am there but I've never found it.

I'd also like a volume of Little Nemo: Adventures in Slumberland, again if I could ever find one.