Saturday, November 22, 2008

How Many Fingers Do You See?

I remember the day and instance with exactness. I was 12, standing in my frontyard on a fresh spring morning. The grass tickled my little toes, so I looked down, and voila, I saw it: a three-leaf clover. The beloved, rare three-leaf clover! Lucky me! But wait---if one, then maybe more. I looked at the entire batch of grass in which I was standing---it was ALL three-leaf clovers! Alleluia! What incredible luck---the jackpot! Thank you, God! And then it hit me: It's four-leaf, not three-leaf, clovers which are rare. I immediately sank back into my natural pessimism. Was this a cruel divine joke for not having cut the grass this week? But then I quickly realized: Maybe for a good reason the Holy Trinity itself is three, not four, Persons. Saint Patrick and his shamrock had it right.

-Old Gargoyle

No comments: