Sunday, December 6, 2009

Bells of St. Mary

I hear no church bells where I now live. Well, I do hear the ones every early morning---and they wake me too early and the neighbors also complain and I'm spearheading a lawsuit against the church's pastor and it's costing a bunch of money and you should contribute to our fund because I know that you too like to sleep late and we have a pretty good chance of winning and the clergymen in the area are bunching up against us and we'll have the A.C.L.U. on our side and it's all a big mess and don't get me started on this---but I don't hear any in the early evening the way I did when I was a kid.

Back then, the bells would ring at 6:00 p.m., every day, marking the approach of dusk, the end of the work day, and suppertime. When I was that young, it would also mark the time that my father would come home from his job either by car or even by foot, and he never was late. My brother and I would be delighted to hear the bells, because we knew that the things I mentioned were at hand, especially Dad's return. Even at my embarrassingly advanced age, I still miss my non-late/late father.

-Old Gargoyle

No comments: