Thursday, March 5, 2009

Look before You Leap

"You heartless cad!" the little woman says to me when I laugh. Not when I laugh at just anything, but when I do so at certain persons on t.v. who are injured, become lost, etc. Not just any injury but those incurred in foolishly risky endeavors. I can understand persons being daredevils (e.g., the late Evel Knivel) as a profession (though I would have advised Evel, "Look, just be a motorcycle repairman, tester, or salesman, and stop putting your family through such worry and financial risk"). And I fully understand and appreciate those who risk their lives for scientific advancement or for the security of others. But I have little sympathy for those clowns who want to climb Mt. Everest just for the thrill of it, or who wander off into dangerous woods or snow mountains or shark-infested swim areas simply because they refuse to obey weather or safety warnings. Then rescuers have to risk their own lives to save those fools. So when I see the latter being buried in snow avalanches, or being eaten by bears, or having their legs chomped off by sharks, I laugh until I cry. That to me is the REAL reality shows. Thank God for such reality t.v.!

-Old Gargoyle

No comments: