Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Hail, Brittanica

Things are quiet and dull here in Delaware. I look out my widow and see the many neighbors' chicken farms with their little chickens wrapped in winter coats and hats, and I see my own beets and squash fields needing tending before long. And I can see our small capital city on the horizon.

Many of my e-mail chat contacts are from persons living in Eastern or Southern Europe. When they ask me in their broken, barely managed English where I live, I tell them, "right next to the white cliffs of Dover." They become excited, because they think I live in southern England, and then they want to visit me and the little woman. I encourage this, and I provide them with my "Dover, England" address, make plans for the visits, etc. I can't tell you how many couples from Eastern and Southern Europe have been stranded on the cliffs of Dover asking the local Englishmen over and over where to find Mr. and Mrs. Gargoyle. Stupid foreigners. Learn English. Stop swimming the channel. Buy Chevrolets.

-Old Gargoyle

No comments: