Saturday, February 7, 2009

That Old Gang of Mine

"Why do you call yourself Gargoyle," dozens of readers have asked me.

"Because I'm a creature of Logic," I reply. When I was a young gargoyle attached in succession to four different European cathedrals in the middle ages, obviously before my current reincarnation, my tutor was Logicus, a nearby and older gargoyle. He taught me the required grimaces and growls, etc., so I always considered myself to be more or less a creation of his. Also next to me was Prudentia, a nice lady gargoyle but a little too uptight and proper for my taste. Melancholia on my right side was a downright drag. Felicia, on the other hand, was a perky joy to be near, though she did have a difficult time maintaining her frightful demeanor. Platititudinus just above me was a bore with his dreary repetition of commonplace sayings.

I miss those old dudes and dames. What has to suffice for me now is my collection of gargoyle statues in my office. We talk daily. Sometimes I forget to dust them.

-Old Gargoyle

No comments: