Saturday, February 14, 2009

Meditation on a Big Apple

Jonka and I went to New York City a few years ago in order for her to sing with her group at Carnegie Hall. It was my first visit to the city; my miscellaneous impressions: So many people constantly walking the sidewalks, and very few overweight walkers (trimness from all that walking, I'm sure). Taxi cabs everywhere (I was almost hit by several while standing on the curb). Of all the clerks, attendants, street passers-by, etc. to whom I spoke, almost every one of them had a foreign accent (to them I too had one, I guess). Contrary to the popular view, no New Yorker I encountered was rude or haughty (maybe the semi-hidden pistol on my chest made a difference---I don't know). I was surprised at Broadway and Fifth Avenue. In the movies they seem larger and more elegant than in real life. Carnegie Hall seemed downright small and ordinary. But I have to realize these are old buildings. In fact, the Manhattan buildings and stores as a whole struck me as aged and ordinary looking. Even St. John the Divine Cathedral was fairly disappointing. The number of things to do and see in New York is endless, I realize, but I noted the general lack of beauty and charm compared to almost every European city. In short, perhaps as many Americans say: a nice city to visit, but not to live there (given the choice, however, it would be N.Y. over Pierre, South Dakota).

-Old Gargoyle

1 comment:

The Cajun Gal said...

I found the same thing about New York! People were generally friendly--maybe a little less likely to approach a stranger than down here, but happy to reply. I still remember the dude who sold me 8$ sunglasses on the street: Mr. Al. I lost them in Colorado that summer! Sorry Al!