Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Knox, Knox! Who's There?

Are you old enough to have heard of Paul Harvey, the famous news commentator? I was fortunate to have met him personally when he was a guest at a radio station in New Orleans years ago. At that same station on a different occasion, I personally met the late intellectual-commentator, William Buckley (all in my young-and-foolish conservative days). Anyway, I remember Harvey saying that he thought the U.S. had only four distinctive, historically and culturally interesting cities: San Francisco, San Antonio, New Orleans, and Boston. I think I agree. But in which to live without being killed? Earthquaked to death in S.F., sunburned and water-droughted to death in S.A., drowned to death in N.O., or frozen to death in Boston? From my survey of earthquakes, tornados, hurricanes, floods, snowstorms, and heatstorms in America, I think it's safest to live in Knoxville, Tennessee. Call the mover and start packing my banjo, little woman!

-Old Gargoyle

No comments: