Monday, July 27, 2009

Featherbrains

I see that an educational network is broadcasting a commemorative series of Walter Kronkite's past interviews and news reports. The series is emphasizing Uncle Walt's admiration of N.A.S.A.'s space program and its astronauts. Which in turn reminds me of an old blog which I'll again mention here.

I again recently asked my college students why N.A.S.A. has sent dogs, monkeys, mice, bugs, etc., but never birds, into space. And again I had several girl students (interestingly, almost all of them bleached blonds), who give two common answers: Either the birds would injure or kill themselves flying around the cabinet of the space capsule, hitting and bouncing off the walls---in which case these girls somehow don't realize that gravity is lacking in the capsule, and don't realize that the birds, like the other animals, would be confined to a small cage. Or the birds would simply---hold on to your hat---fly out the windows of the capsule---in which case these girls don't realize that, no, humans and animals can't fly into space in a capsule with open windows. Whew. God bless our scientifically educated American youth.

Do you know why birds have not and will not be sent into space?

-Old Gargoyle

4 comments:

Nathan Champion said...

Well, I'm not certain, but the internet, which never lies and always contains factual information, states that birds require gravity to swallow. As I'm not a biologist, I am unaware of any other reason to swallow other than to digest foods or dispose of saliva, but perhaps swallowing does something else for the body.

My first guess, however, would have been that bird's hollow bones would cause problems with the lack of atmospheric pressure in outer space. The hollow spaces might expand, causing the bird's bones to break.

Old Gargoyle said...

Yes, the main reason is the lack of ability to swallow would cause the birds to starve to death.

You hereby are given this month's Young Gargoyle Award.

Gonflé said...

Not to be a total ass...but is the perpetual survival of the animal even considered? I mean, I don't think we ever got those monkeys back...

Wouldn't they just decide to send a really fat bird up there? Maybe some sort of penguin?

Old Gargoyle said...

Speaking of larger birds: I heard that N.A.S.A. trained the even-larger ostrich, but the stupid thing kept trying to bury its head in the capsule dashboards.