Thursday, September 18, 2008

The Kokonut

A few years ago, when the original style of chatrooms was popular on the Internet, I befriended a certain chatterer in a religion-talk room. Her colorful name, Koko, attracted me to her particular comments. I then introduced her not only to some contemporary theological trends but also to a few pop, country, or rock singers with whom she was unfamiliar--for example, Leonard Cohen, Mickey Newbury, and Jesse Winchester--and to some aspects of Southern culture. It turned out that she lived near Boston. A few years later, by the time she personally met me and my wife, Koko had already become a new vice president of the International Mickey Newbury Fan Club. I've benefitted not only from Koko's friendship but also from her secret weapon: a convent of nuns who live down the street from her house, who successfully pray for outsiders' requested needs, and who bake and mail out the most-tasty fresh bread and cakes. In short, she has been both delightful and crazy, a veritable Kokonut. I just wish she'd lose that indicipherable Boston accent.

-Old Doc


No comments: