Friday, September 19, 2008

(Eyes,) Ears, (Nose,) and Throat

I neither send nor receive text messages. I rarely use my cell phone; I don't even know its number. I don't know how to carry bottled water on my person. On the other hand and only in the last few years, my students did and still do constantly use these objects. However, research shows that in the entire 200-year history of public and private, elementary-to-college education in America, not a single student ever died of dehydration in or between classes. Research shows too an alarming and growing number of automobile accidents and even ambulatory accidents (walking into posts or doors) among young people because of distractions due to cell-phone use. All of this we simply don't need today. I wish I could text-message THIS message to the students. But I don't know how to do so; and, of course, no one calls me. Please call me. My cell-phone number is . . . just a moment . . . is 337-462-9299 (337-GO-AWAYY).


Two minutes have elapsed. You still haven't called.

-Old Doc

No comments: