Saturday, January 1, 2011

New Year's Eve and Adam

It was last night (New Year's Eve) when Jonka said to me, "Remember to set the alarm. We have to go to church in the morning."

"To church? Why?" I asked.

"Don't be stupid; it's New Year's tomorrow," she said.

"Whoa, little woman," I replied, "you're not the licensed theologian here. The Church doesn't celebrate the non-religious calendar event of the change of year. And I ain't going to church."

"You pagan," she shouted, "set the alarm. I'm certainly going, if you're not! It's something . . . it's, it's the Solemnity of Mary tomorrow."

"Yeah, right," I retorted. "Just what we need: another holyday devoted to Mary when two of the annual five already are dedicated to her and a third---Christmas--already properly involves her. Okay, then. While I'm at it, I have to set the clock ahead one hour for the new year."

"Whatever," she muttered as she walked away.

So this morning Jonka arose at the alarm and went to church. Of course, she had to wait an extra hour for the service to begin. I'm sure she was confused. I wonder what she did to kill time. Probably prayed for me.


No comments: