Thursday, January 6, 2011

Down Under (and Over)

I visited a few churches to interview available personnel for an article. At one church office, the secretary was preparing prayers for the minister for Sunday's service.

"These are called prayers of petition," she explained. "But I'm struck on one of them. It's a request to pray for the victims of that gigantic flood this week in Australia, and I don't know exactly how to phrase it."

"Ah, yes, Northeastern Australia," I said. "Look," I continued, "remember that Australia is in the Southern Hemisphere, which means that the operations of nature are basically upside down or the opposite of ours here in the Northern Hemisphere. So just write something like, 'Heavenly Father, we pray that the major rotation of the Earth will occur very soon, so that the flood water in Australia will go quickly and upward into the air---for the relief of the people there.'"

"Gee, that sound good. Can you repeat that slowly so that I can write it?" she replied.

I did. Yes, she was a bleached blond.

No comments: