Thursday, December 23, 2010

Northern Exposure

The little woman and I just returned from a short vacation to Quebec to see if we could find any of my long-lost cousins. Man, what I did find! I discovered that those French Canadians actually catch, cook, and eat possum, raccoons, frogs, and what they call "craw fish." They make and eat some kind of spicy rice sausage which they term "boo-din," which they often have with a Coke as breakfast too. Their music is dominated by---can you imagine in this day and age: the accordion?---and by the violin, music which features many depressive waltzes. They play this stuff late into the night mostly at houses at which couples bring their young children or grandchildren---at performances they call "fais do-do"---and allow---get this---the children to sleep in the corners while the couples dance. And their English? Whew. I know it's French Canada, but come on, the whole industrialized world speaks English, not this choppy non-European French. And, I think, they frequently perform in private and in public what looks like mini-voodoo rituals.

Quebec! I just hope those French Canadians never move south. As for me, I think I'll remain in Seine.

No comments: