Saturday, September 11, 2010

He Didn't Really Mean What He Said, Did He?

As a minor, unproductive theologian who has publicly debated Muslims, I have mixed admiration for and historical-theological criticism of Islamic beliefs. Which brings me to the lady on the bus. When I was riding the city bus to my downtown meeting of H.A. (Hoarders Anonymous), the woman sitting next to me was reading her Bible and mumbling. She eventually complained to me how Muslims are bent on converting or conquering the world in the name of Islam, and that good Christians are not like that, then badgered me with "Don't you agree? Don't you?"

As the bus halted at my stop and I was walking out its door, I quickly said to her, "I think Mohammed speaks in the gospels."

"What? Mohammed? Where?" she angrily demanded.

"Mohammed or Jesus---I can't remember which. Try reading Matthew 28:19-20," I replied as I exited.

3 comments:

FormerStudent#18 said...

the question is what does that look like in light of how it is modeled in matthew 10?

Old Gargoyle said...

Former Student #18, Matthew 10 is scary. But you're overdue for a promotion. Henceforth you shall be known as Former Student #9.

FormerStudent#9 said...

Yes, it is scary. I was thinking of dressing up as Jesus for Halloween and read that passage to them as I hand them candy Bibles telling them "Go and do likewise!" It's either that or dress up as an angel with an actual flaming sword, and run around the neighborhood shouting "Repent!".... I wonder how much white horse rentals cost these days...