Saturday, May 8, 2010

Scared Cows and Sacred Cows

I see some evangelical preachers and their congregations saying that the Hurricane Katrina disaster and now the Gulf oil-spill disaster are God's ordained punishment for the wickedness and lack of religious faith in New Orleans with its French Quarter lifestyle, voodoo, gambling, etc (read: Catholicism). Yet those same preachers, when they or their relatives fall to some serious disease or accident, don't blame that condition on God's punishment or on evil spirits. Well, some do---in the sense that now and then some of them do nothing but pray over their ill relatives instead of also seeking medical help. Then some of them allow these ill persons---even children---to die, followed by praying over their house-kept bodies for what they believe will be the bodies' imminent resurrection.

Persuasive stuff. Hell, I'm beginning to believe that my mad-cow disease is God's punishment for what I did to those two bovines in the field when I was a teenager. (Please, don't ask me for details.) Maybe God is Hindu.


No comments: