Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Go Stand in the Corner by Yourself

Speaking of New Orleans: I love blues and sad music. Last week I finally saw the recent movie, "The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call: New Orleans," starring Nicholas Cage and set in the Big Easy. In the final scene of the film, a stirring, slow, blues song plays in the background but for only ten or twenty seconds. But, man, it's just about the saddest, soul-gripping song I've ever heard: titled "Mother Died." Turns out it's by the New Orleans blues-jazz group, Washboard Chaz, of whom I hadn't previously heard. Try to hear it.

A problem arises: If I enter heaven when I myself die, what am I going to do when the choirs of angels and souls will be singing and hearing joyful, praiseful music for all eternity, but I'll be wanting to hear and sing only terribly sad music for all eternity?

2 comments:

Nathan said...

I may be wrong, but didn't Thomas Aquinas say that one of the pleasures of heaven was seeing the suffering of sinners in hell? Perhaps they'll be playing the sad music, and you can spend your time pressed up against the glass listening. Assuming such views are correct.

Old Gargoyle said...

I like Nathan's pragmatic theology.