Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Anti-Clericalism

I thought the following happened only in blogs: I was in the hall of the hospital, having visited my bedridden mother-in-law. I was standing next to the open door of the adjoining room when a priest arrived to visit that other person who, I knew, was dying.

"John," the priest called to the patient upon entering his room. "John," again. But no reply from John; and the relatives near his bed said nothing.

"John," the priest said again as he sat next to the dying man. No reply. The priest pressed the old man's shoulder, "John, it's your pastor. Is there anything I can do for you?"

John half-opened his eyes. Then to the surprise of the bystanders, he raised his head toward the priest and almost shouted, "Stop mailing me [offertory] envelopes!"

No comments: