Wednesday, February 3, 2010

What Doesn't Kill You Simply Makes You Stronger

It's so frustrating. The tv and radio commercials and magazine ads for prescription drugs, which bombard me left and right, simultaneously waste my time and frighten me with their extended information on the multiple negative side effects (including the extreme of death) of the drugs. No one needs all this blather. All the commercial or ad has to say is "This drug has some negative side effects. Ask your doctor about them." There, done.

On the other hand, when I see commercials for other products such as cars, appliances, financial services, the "negative side effects" are hidden from me. Instead, what we viewers get are two-second, very small-print lines of information, sometimes a dozen or so long---much too small and too fleeting for the human eye to read. The bits of information which I have been able to read from those lines always express some restriction or even contradiction of the benefits which the commercial itself has just claimed.

Go figure.




No comments: