Friday, August 28, 2009

Inside Job

What a night! The little woman was still at her conference in Dover, and I was watching "Project Runway." The house was dark; that's when I heard the rattle at my back door. I had read about burglars in the area. I quickly unlocked and opened the door. Three men were standing there in the dark, surprised. I warmly greeted them, saying I was expecting them. They were Latvian immigrants to the Seine area---plenty of them around here lately. I insisted they enter my kitchen. I had them sit, remove their caps. I served them bourbon, and we downed eight or nine drinks in memory of J. Edgar Hoover. They didn't seem to mind. We sang a couple of songs from the old country. While they were still drinking and snacking in the kitchen, I quickly went to my bedroom, then returned to show them my loaded pistol. They were taken aback, but I let them carefully examine it. Because they were without firearms, I recommended my kind of handgun for their ventures. They were grateful. With one more drink on my part dedicated to the honor of that great Latvian-American, Andy Kaufman, I abruptly walked out the front door, telling them to close the front and back doors behind them when they too departed. After a walk around the block in the dark, I returned to find everything tidy in my kitchen, the boys gone, and nothing stolen. I like Latvians.

-Old Gargoyle

1 comment:

Nathan Champion said...

When you find intruders in your lair and tell them they were expected, aren't you supposed to have your henchmen tie them to some contraption and await their slow demise? I'm quite confused.