Saturday, June 6, 2009

Camera---Action!

Because I like films, especially the quirky, unusual, or indie ones, I joined a movie club. The members as a group see one to three flicks each month, and discuss them after each viewing. So far I've attended the showings of "Religiosus" (I forget its exact spelling) and "The Brothers Bloom."

At the discussion of "Religiosus," I pointed out the movie's strengths and weaknesses, which I mentioned in an earlier blog below. "The Brothers Bloom" was a delightful, comedic con story. When I said to the group that I was surprised that Maximilian Schell appeared in it (a supporting role in which I didn't even recognize it was he), because I thought he had died or retired, the group said, "Max who?" That's when I realized that I was the oldest member in this club group. But their apparent disdain for me was reserved for what happened only fifteen minutes into the film. Young Michelle (a bleached blond, as far as I could tell) had been sitting next to me. She had made a few movements to eat and drink her refreshments and to open her purse, when suddenly she gathered all her items, and rushed out the theater, not to return to us for the rest of the evening. I'm convinced the group thought that I had quietly molested Michelle, accounting for her abrupt departure. Thank goodness a couple of days later she e-mailed all the members to say that she received a silent message, right after the movie began, saying her friend had gone into labor, so Michelle had decided to go quickly to her car.

I hope our next group movie isn't "My Life in Ruins," or "Drag Me to Hell," or "Hangover."

-Old Gargoyle

No comments: