Sunday, July 25, 2010

Old Man with His Cane

"What's wrong, old man, why aren't you eating your breakfast?" the little woman asked me this morning.

"I'm on the horns of a dilemma," I replied.

"Ouch! That must hurt," she said.

"Very funny. I opened this can of cane syrup---you know, the heavy, dark kind which looks like, and even at times tastes like, motor oil---the kind I really like. It's from a box of cans sent to me at Christmas by a former student. Anyway, I was thinking of how many sugar canes it took, how many hours of cultivation it took, sweating in the hot harvest sun, to make this one can of syrup."

"So?" Jonka asked.

"So I'm pondering the ethical implication of pouring pure, sweet, natural, handmade cane syrup onto frozen, cardboard Eggo waffles."

3 comments:

E. said...

Steen's Cane Syrup - the best in the world. Dig out the heel of a piece of french bread and pour some in. With cold milk, better than doughnuts.

Old Gargoyle said...

E., hot damn good!

Ahab said...

Have you tried rice syrup? A friend tells me it's quite tasty!